Sunday, June 8, 2008

Guten Tag!

Hello and welcome to Germany! It was a long flight, but our group finally made it to Bietigheim. After a 2-hour bus ride from the airport, we reached the school of the German hosts. We were greeted by an enormous crowd of eager German families, ready to take their American students home. My German, Mirja, found me right away. We piled my suitcase in the Audi and went back to her house.
I have stayed with host families in other countries before, but I have never stayed with a family so open and kind as Mirja´s family. Her mother told me right away to make myself at home. It was very sweet of them. I feel very blessed to be in such a loving home. Mirja is so lively and personable. She always makes me smile. Her father is also very nice and he likes to talk about soccer. I have noticed many German flags on cars and buildings because this week is full of European soccer games. Everyone comes out to watch the game and cheer on their country. Today we had free time with our host families, so I went with Mirja, and her friend, Natalie, and her two American students, Cassie and Marissa to a castle called Ludwigsburg. We got a great tour from an English speaker. It was very interesting. Today has been a very good day, and I´m excited to see what tomorrow will bring. Tschus!