Friday, June 13, 2008

On new and old friendships and leaving home

So when I first left home last Saturday, I was really unsure of the whole idea of staying a week in another persons house. It was strange to think that for a whole week, I would for all intents and purposes have a new family. I initially thought that it would be awkward and that I would miss my home and my family. And while I have missed my home and family, my (host) family here in Germany has been extraordinary. I have felt like I belong from the moment I first crossed the threshold into their house. From everything to laundry to planning events, they have been kind and helpful, and it has really helped me to see what life in Germany is like. Viktor (my host brother) has also introduced me to various German fußball (soccer for all the Americans) songs.

Throughout the the trip I have seen many old friendships that have become stronger, but the thing that is the coolest for me is the new friendships that have formed across North and South. I have met people with interests similar to mine, even within the flute section! I have also seen sections become closer and play better just because of the experience of being in Germany.

As a final thought, the first Jazz Concert today was amazing and the crowd was even more excited than at the Band Concert. Well for now I will have to go and prepare for tonights concert and pack for tomorrow. I am sad to be leaving my host family, and would like to spend more time here. Tomorrow we leave for the Czech Republic. Peace All.