Monday, June 9, 2008

Wow...We're in Germany!!!

Sometimes...I still forget that I'm in another country! It still seems so unreal that I'm here, but I'm so excited! I know that I'm a day late to talk about the plane and such but yesterday was just so much fun, I didn't get time to go onto the computor. After finding our luggage, we headed out to Bietigheim. There I met my host family, whom had stayed with me before and was swallowed into big hugs from her and her mother. I feel so welcomed and happy to be here! I have to admit that I was very nervous to be staying with a family, and didn't know what to except at all. Later we headed to my 'new home' and met the other two sisters, father, and grandmother. While everyone knows a little bit of English, except the grandmother, they speak German for most of the time which has been tough since I don't speak a word of German. But everything has been very good. I'm looking forward to eating more of the amazing food and learning about this culture and town! IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Even though camera has paid for itself, considering how much I use it, it certainly has on this trip. It has barely left my hand! The town's buildings, churches and land marks are so beautiful! Even though I was ready to fall asleep right as we arrived home, I could resist the urge to go for a walk into the city. While there Selina (my host) recieved an invite to go to the pool. And this pool tramples over Cypher's Cove! It was huge with many pools and nice water! After that, we traveled with the group we collected to the Indoor Beach and played Volleyball and Soccor (which the Germans, sadly, still beat us in). While some had fun playing, others seem to relax and try to catch up on needed sleep!
We traveled home to eat and later went to a nearby soccor viewing bar to watch the game! I'll never forget seeing so many people so excited (nor will the ringing in my ears from blow horns go away...)! It was so much fun! I even got to help the little sister with her English homework when we got home!
It's strange having to be confused about certain things. Speaking English, we always seem to get the easy trail by it being everywhere. But from experience, I know now that that is not the case here all the time. At the Indoor Beach, I (being completely German illiterate) walked straight into a Boy changing room! I'm probably still blushing from that! Luckly no one was there and it wasn't that kind of changing room (more like lockers for shoes) it's something people are giving me grief over! ^^ We've gotten many laughs over that...
Today we traveled to Neuschawanstein Castle! It was so gorgeous and I can understand why Disney's Cinderella Castle was modeled after it! Much to my displeasure, I wasn't able to take pictures of the inside to show you all, but just imagine your perfect golden castle and make it even more beautiful! There where paintings all over of Saints or scenes from plays and operas like Tristan and Isolde with lots of swanns (they were the kings favorite animal) and beautiful handcrafted chairs, beds, and even ceilings and floors! And the view out of every window, was enough to take the breath away from anyone! The views were so magical and gorgeous!
Even the town below the castle was amazing! Lots of shops with souveniors and nice people, understanding of our non German speaking disability and lots of kids treated themselves to the infamous German chocolate and drinks!
The band directors and staff have been so awesome on this trip. They've been fun and understanding and I'm so blessed to be here. The host families have been so kind to everyone and I'm so glad to get the chance to know them and other students from DGN that I didn't know before this. I've made many more friends and I can't wait to get the chance to know more of them as this trip progresses. And lastly, I'm never going to look at Carbonated water the same way again...(for those of you who don't...everything here seems to be carbonated, even juice and water!!!!)