Tuesday, June 10, 2008

In Germany, Even the Fried Bologna is Good

Yesterday was another busy day in Biedigheim! We traveled to Neuschwanstein Castle, which was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen, and well worth the strenuous walk up the mountain. Later on, we went to Katharine N.'s host family's house for her 18th birthday. The Germans always say they are ''making a party,'' so when Mirja called to ask if we could come, my host brother said, ''Would you like to go to Mirja's house? They are making a party for your friend!'' We had a nice time, and by the time I finally got to bed after an exhausting day, I realized I wasn't tired anymore! Jet lag is such a strange thing.
Today, we toured downtown Biedigheim. It was interesting to see that such an old city had so many pieces of modern art. The tour guide explained that though at first the people were not very accepting of the modern art, they have come to accept and even appreciate it as a part of their city and its culture.
When I came back to the Schilling's house today, there were even more people to meet. As soon as I walked in the door, a friendly-looking woman rushed towards me, hugging me and saying ''I am Grandma! I am 80 years old! You are very hungry, yes?'' Before I had time to protest, she sat me down in a chair and placed a plate of a foreign item in front of me. I couldn't tell exactly what it was. It was brown and bread-shaped and fresh off the stove. ''You like this?'' she asked. I still wasn't sure what it was but I still said, ''Oh...yes!'' As she watched, I put a forkful in my mouth. I chewed it thoughtfully, trying to identify the familiar and unusual taste. Finally it struck me. Bologna! And it was delicious! Grandma was so happy with me when I finished it all that she kissed me on the cheek and told me to give my own Grandma ''special Grandma greetings from one to the other'' the next time I saw her!