Monday, June 16, 2008

Ah, Kids...

Yesterday was Fathers Day. Maybe one of the hardest days of the trip for me, actually... We're having a great time, of course, but being away from my daughter for over a week is the longest I've ever been away from her. Not being able to video conference with her as I was in Bi-Bi made it frustrating, taking 10 minutes to figure out how to make my calling card work in the Old Town section of Prague just about put me over the edge... At least I could hear her voice for a minute or two! (Look at me taking technology for granted... not so many years ago a phone call wasn't even a sure thing!)

Today I'm blogging to you from the English International School of Prague. I peered into the gymnasium and saw a little blonde girl with pig-tails doing the shuttle run. That's probably exactly what my daughter will look like in just a few more years. Then, during lunch we noticed the art projects based on the book, The Rainbow Fish, one of the favorites in her library. Even though I can't be with Sydney, this trip keeps sending me reminders (like I need to be reminded)!

Lesson learned? Kids are kids. They have the same joy for life, same imagination, same energy, same love to share... all over the world. Parents are parents. I've seen parents here and in Germany dealing with the same joys and challenges we do at home (although some of their strollers are MUCH cooler than our...)

So... Parents of our band students - Your students DO miss you too. They talk about home and you in the middle of all the other "oos" and "ahs". (They won't admit it, but they do). I also imagine I'll feel just like you when I send my future student(s) off on a trip without me...

Ok, off to do our concert for the students. We're playing our "lighter" stuff... except for Godzilla... Hope that doesn't scare the little ones. It's a little tougher than The Rainbow Fish.