Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Report on Tuesday (6/10) and Wednesday (6/11)

Once again, outside circumstances have kept me from posting last night -- in this case, it was simply too late to say anything coherently! However, yesterday was our sightseeing day in Bietingheim-Bissingen. We took a walking tour down the main street; we got to see several interesting statues, the entrance to a Japanese garden, and a monument for all the particularly high floods they´ve had in this town! (The town has two rivers running through it, with another one a few kilometers away. If it rains too much, the city floods very easily.) We got to meet with the mayor of the town -- he spoke English very well -- and the town gave us hats as souvenirs. (Iäve been wearing mine sightseeing -- but more on THAT later.) After lunch -- and lots of ice cream -- we rehearsed and performed our concert at the Kronenzentrum. My host family, whom I had a second dinner with after the concert, said they liked Godzilla Eats Las Vegas the most.

Earlier today, we went to Stuttgart - the equivalent of Chicago in this area. We went to the Mercedes Beny museum, where they had several different historical cars on exhibit. I took pictures, but I´m afraid they won´t come out right. We had about an hour left after touring the exhibits, so I joined Jennifer D., Suzanne S., and several of their friends in playing Mow (a card game) and going to the gift shop. The whole group walked past the soccer stadium and bought things at the gift shop there.

The buses picked us up from the stadium and took us downtown, where we spent the rest of the afternoon. I stuck with the Mow group...we found this pretty large mall that we hung out in for an hour and a half. We had ice cream again...I am such a sucker. Then we went walking down the street and found a relatively inexpensive jewelry store. Then we went back, the buses picked us up...and we went to the soccer game! Iäm sure youäll have heard about it from the other students. I actually played at the start of the second half, but I haven´t played in years and I couldn´t get to the ball in time. We had curry for dinner tonight -- another first for me! -- and...now we´re going to bed! Tomorrow is our last day of sightseeing, in the town of Heidelberg. I´m looking forward to it!