Monday, June 9, 2008

"Toto, We're Not In Kansas Anymore"

















BUS UPGRADE: Our students, used to "Yellow Bus" accommodations most of the time, are enjoying the Spillmann 'Travel Lounge' coaches. Any bus made by Mercedes Benz is a big step up!


















Others have already posted about our wonderful trip to Neuschwanstein today. I will add (as a point of explanation for those back home following the official itinerary) that a 14 kilometer traffic jam (due to a very early morning accident delayed us considerably as we headed south, and prevented us from visiting the cathedral in Ulm. But our students truly enjoyed Neuschwanstein, and it was a spectacular day. Above, Dave S. poses with a sign warning of a steep path for the trek down to the buses from the castle. (Dave was obviously not phased.)















If you will indulge me for a personal moment of reflection, today Kristen and I celebrated our wedding anniversary. One of our childhood friends, who is following our trip from her home in Missouri, emailed me last night and insisted that I post a picture of Kristen at some point during the tour. So, given that it is a special day for us, this seems like a prime opportunity to be a little bit selfish. As we drove back to Bietigheim this evening I found myself remembering that my "first band trip" with Kristen was back in 1986, when our high school band traveled to Lawrence, Kansas to perform at a regional convention. (Let me tell you: Toto ... we're not in Kansas anymore!) I feel very blessed to be sharing yet another tour with her twenty-two years later. Kristen is a talented teacher in her own right, and I am very fortunate to have her guidance and support on a daily basis.

And speaking of June 9th being a special day: Happy Birthday to Katherine N., Jeanne K., and Mr. Miller!

We look forward to our first concert tomorrow ...