Friday, June 13, 2008

ON TOP OF THE WORLD








Guten tag:

Forgive my silent voice in the last few days - the pace has been wonderfully frenetic. I left my laptop at in Downers Grove for my kids to use while we are in Germay. There are times I don't miss it at all, and there are times I wish it was here. Alas, I forge ahead on a German keyboard!

The photo above is a panorama view from the top of the castle in Heidelberg. I hope it is worth 1,000 words for those of you experiencing our trip through the blog. Being here is still so surreal for me. Terri W. (my wife) and I keep thinking that eventually we will walk to the parking lot and return home or to our hotel. I have to remind myself this is not Walt Disney World, but a real town with real people.
To me, the people are the essence of this exchange. I watch our students learn that people are people no matter where they live. As people, we are designed to be in community with one another. This exchange allows that sense of community to thrive across cultures and across generations. It is remarkable to experience first hand.
The post-blog photo is Terri W. on the square in Stuggart - again, the photo tells far more on the spirit of the exchange and of the trip that I could ever hope to write - especially on this German keyboard!
Tschus,
Glenn Williams