Friday, June 13, 2008

I left my heart in Heidleberg (or Sachseheim)

I cannot believe that I have to leave my host family tomorrow morning. They have become such an amazing part of my life and I feel incomplete without them. My sister, Mirja, is one of the nicest, funniest people I have ever met. My mother is so kind and caring and she always talks to me even when it is hard to speak in English. My father is always helpful and is very funny. When we went to Hieldleberg yesterday, my mother told me there is a song that says, ``I left my heart in Hieldleberg.´´ And now that I have been with my family for several days, I feel that I am leaving part of my heart in Sachseheim, where they live. I have made so many new friendships and strengthened others from last year. Tomorrow morning will be very sad for me. I have been on two other international trips with school, and I have noticed that on these trips I always remember things that are different between my life at home and my life abroad. But this week I really realized that we are not different at all. Sure, there are little differences between Mirja´s life in Germany and my life in the US, but at the core, we are the same. I am very comforted by this thought. Somehow even though we live on two different continents, we are the same.