Thursday, June 5, 2008

Eagerly Awaiting Depature...

Hello friends! As I write this, when I should be sleeping, I am filled with positive feelings and expectations for this my second trip to Germany. In many aspects, I think that this trip will be more worthwhile since I've been there once before, for a variety of reasons. Once you know what to expect, it can make the transition next time all the easier. Also, I now know what to "look out for"--both in positive ways and about "things to avoid." I learned the hard way that certain things we say in english directly translated into German do not mean the same things, and can be offensive and embarassing, even. Learning the intricacies of the language and figures of speech the hard way was beneficial for me, albeit humiliating.

As I mentioned earlier, though, it is also very positive to know things ahead of time. For example, we will be visiting Neuschwanstein Castle, a place which we went on my last trip and I absolutely adored. It will be great fun to go and see it again, especially since I know more about German culture now. It will also be a unique opportunity to perform for European audiences, which on my last trip we did not do. This will be exhilarating, I am sure and I can't wait to share our hard work with the German public. I also have learned to speak the language better--two more years practice makes a big difference--so I will be able to practice and enjoy this skill even more thoroughly this time around.

Overall, I am really looking forward to this. Of course, I always have slight trepidation when it comes to 9 hour transatlantic flights, but that's just me being me. I look forward to finishing up the heretofore outstanding rehearsal process and embarking on our journey!

P.S. One last final nugget of advice: Bring earplugs (multiple pairs) and an eye shade for sleeping. On the plane, they will be a godsend--and also in your hotel rooms/host homes, if you are around anyone who feels the need to add some percussion sound effects during their sleep!

More later...CP