Monday, June 9, 2008

IT"S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL















Today, we drove several hours to southern Germany, in the Alps, to visit a famous castle and bridge.  This castle is the inspiration for the Cinderella Castle in both DisneyLand and DisneyWorld.  The sheer art and craftsmanship in this castle are breathtaking. We experienced traffic on the way to our destination (Yes, there is traffic in Germany.  Yes, it is very organized.)  The photograph above is a painted map of our sites today - we saw not only the castle, but a spectacular bridge spanning a stunning gorge. A 30 minute walk uphill brought to mind for everyone the importance of the Physical Education requirement in Illinois!  I bought a really cool and unique hat (I am certain you'll see photos of it in the near future.)  To me, this trip is a still a fairy tale.  The sights and people are truly amazing and inspiring.  Tomorrow is our first performance - I expect the sounds to become equally inspiring tomorrow.  

Said goodbye to a friend today - one of our home stay hosts lives and teaches photography in Leipzig during the week.  I am struck by the depth of the bond that can be created in less than 24 hours when people open their hearts and homes to a guest.  This is a major takeaway for me, and, something I am already longing to reciprocate when our German friends return in 2010.

Tschus,

Glenn Williams